Alice and the Adventurer
Around 400 years ago the story of Alice and Robert was on everyone’s lips. It was a tale of the rich and famous, politics and religion, bigamy and family love, legal battles and generosity.
Discover their story and let it take you to some amazing places in Warwickshire, from tiny picturesque villages to a ruined castle and a stately home restored to its former elegance.
DISCOVER THE PLACES
- Ladbroke Church and village (this site)
- Stoneleigh Abbey
- Stoneleigh Church and Stoneleigh History Society
- Kenilworth Castle (English Heritage), or viewpoint interpretation and self-guided walk on footpaths around the castle on the Discovering Britain website (The Royal Geographical Society)
- Ashow church
- St Marys Warwick
- St Giles in the Fields, London
- View a copy of Dell'Arcano del Mare at Harvard Library on-line, our favourite pages are seq.
426-427 - illustrations of people taking measurements,
520 - a map of the Mediterranean,
548-556 - the maps of British and Irish coast,
660 - the map of Trinidad and Guiana, where Robert himself sailed
- View the collection of Dudley's nautical instruments at the Museo Galileo in Florence
FIND OUT MORE
Get a leaflet below or contact us to book a group talk (either on-line or in person).
Download a short historical novel in which Alice recounts the story of her long life. Printed copies are available at Ladbroke Church £2.